The topic at a glance
- On 10 August, a freight train derailed while travelling through the Gotthard Base Tunnel, severely damaging the tunnel infrastructure. There were no injuries and no hazardous materials were released.
- Since the derailment, the tunnel has generally been closed to passenger traffic and trains must be diverted. SBB expects that the Gotthard Base Tunnel will once again be operational without restriction for both passenger and freight trains during the course of September 2024.
- Diverting trains via the panorama route means longer journey times for passengers.
- Since Friday, 29 September 2023, some passenger trains have been running through the Gotthard Base Tunnel. Faster connections through the Gotthard Base Tunnel are planned, with 31 trains at weekends as of the timetable change on 10 December 2023.
- For more information on what has happened so far, please see the press release on the derailment (in German), which is updated on a regular basis.
Do you have any other questions? The SBB Contact Center will be happy to help you further.
SBB Contact Center
Tel. 0848 44 66 88
(every day, 24/7, waiting times sometimes to be expected)